Last year, I featured an oversized diamond hexagon pillow and got some great feedback from quilters who made the project during their very first post-covid quilting retreat! Thanks again by the way! It’s always great to hear from you and see what you make with our ideas.
When I saw the pictures, it made me realize that I actually made two smaller pillows to go with it, but never got a chance to post them. So, here’s my chance to set the record straight! I’ll show you how to complete the set with these lovely 6-point star pillows that are a breeze to make using extremely helpful tools like the Komfort Kut 360° Rotating Cutting Mat and OLFA Quick Change Rotary Cutter.
Many quilters hesitate to make diamond shaped designs because they usually require Y seams. But you know me. I love a challenge and diamonds! And I found easy tricks to make diamond shape quilts without having to sew Y seams.
I used the scraps of fabric from the Kaffe Fasset Collection left over from the oversized diamond hexagon pillow I made, along with the following fabrics.
- ½ yd [0.5m] for the back ground fabric
- ¾ yd [0.7m] for the back of the finished pillow
- 2 – 20” x 20” [50 x 50cm] for the back of the pillow top (for quilting)
- 2 – 20” x20” [50 x 50cm] Fairfield Toasty Cotton Natural Cotton Quilt Batting
- Gütermann Cotton 50wt Thread
- Gütermann Cotton 30wt Thread – Golden Sunset
- Gütermann Cotton 30wt Thread – Rustic Holiday
- Gütermann Cotton 30wt Thread – Autumn Leaves
- Komfort Kut 360° Rotating Cutting Mat
- Sew Easy Triangle Ruler 60°
- OLFA Quick Change Rotary Cutter
- Klassé Universal Sharps Needles – Size 70/10
- Omnigrip Ruler – 6″ x 12″
So, gather your stuff and get ready to begin this new project. And if you’re planning to take part in a quilting retreat, I have to share my new quilting gadget I just splurged on in preparation for my upcoming quilting outings. Just before COVID, I got a new sewing machine that’s quite large and had difficulty finding a traveling case for it… Not anymore! You’ll be happy to hear that Vivace now carries three different sizes of sewing machine trolleys.
The trolleys all have telescopic locking handles, durable wheels and ample pockets. The compartment opens up completely with a sturdy zipper and contains a strap to secure your machine. They also have zippered storage areas. But the extra-large trolley has a large zippered front compartment plus a wide lip and clip to secure cutting mats and rulers. I no longer need to drag another bag for those! And I love that the compartment opens up top and front of the bag so I don’t have to load my machine from the top.
I love the Vivace Extra Large Sewing Machine Trolley. It’s a great new addition to my quilting gear and I recommend it for traveling with your sewing machine!
Come back tomorrow to begin your journey in the creation of a 6-point star without any Y seams.