Here’s a nice warm-up to get you to enjoy diamond-shaped quilts. In yesterday’s post, I revealed my two darling cushions I made to go with my diamond hexagon oversized cushion and listed what you need to make these cushions including very useful rulers such as the Sew Easy Triangle Ruler 60°, and the 6” x 12” Omnigrip Ruler. Now I’ll show you just how easy it is to make what I like to call a 4-patch diamond. Because it is as simple as the regular 4-patch!
Instructions to create the 4-patch diamonds
See the material list in yesterday’s post, so I’ll get straight to the instructions on how to make the first 6 units for the two cushion blocks.
- Cut a 2½” strip from 12 of your scrap fabrics.
- Using your Sew Easy Triangle Ruler 60°, cut one edge at a 60-degree angle.
- Sew 2 strips together, while trying to keep the 60-degree aligned.
- Makes 6 strip units.
- Now remember! It doesn’t have to be perfect! You can simply use the Sew Easy Triangle Ruler 60° once more to trim off any excess.
- Use your Omnigrip Ruler – 6″ x 12″ to cut 2 x 2½” units from each Step 2
- Makes 12 units.
Now for the fun part!
- Position your step 3 units 2 x 2 to create your 4-patch diamond.
- Play around with them and see which combination makes the fabric pop.
· Press your seams open using the Oliso Pro TG1600 Pro Plus Smart Iron. This helps you sew the units together in the next step.
Note: Having the ‘ears’ pop out helps you align your units and get a perfect block.
- Position the two units, right sides together, align the ‘ears’ and stitch to make a perfect 4-patch diamond.
- Repeat the steps to make 6 units.
Congratulations! You’ve warmed up to making a 6-point star by succeeding in making the first unit: the 4-patch diamond using tools such as the Komfort Kut 360° Rotating Cutting Mat, Sew Easy Triangle Ruler 60°, and the OLFA Quick Change Rotary Cutter to make the creative process easier. I’ll see you tomorrow when I’ll show you how it’s just as easy to create a 16-patch diamond!
This is part 2 of 5 in this series
Go back to part 1: Easy 6-point stars without Y seams: What you need to get started
Go to part 3: 16-patch diamonds are easy with the ESSENTIAL Sew Easy 60° Triangle Ruler