Answering the call for a zakka phone case
Today on QUILTsocial, the zakka design aesthetic answers the call for a stylish cell phone case that protects your phone, and little details like a fussy cut of your favorite fabric scrap. We’ll also be adding a quilted neck strap to make it a hands free caddy. It’s perfect for having your phone close, but not in the way, at craft shows, a walk in the neighborhood, or grocery shopping. Let’s discover how answering the call for a zakka phone can be exciting!
You will need
various fabric scraps
HeatnBond Feather Lite
DMC embroidery floss
Sew Smooth thread conditioner
scalloped edge rotary cutter
garter clips (or similar)
- Join a quilting cotton scrap to a scrap of linen to create a piece of fabric that is 11″ x 14″. Press seams open.
- From this joined piece, cut two pieces, 5″ x 7″.
- Use lightweight interfacing to stabilize this piece of fabric.
- Cut a piece of lace, ric rac, or similar trim to cover the joining seam, and adhere it using quilters’ tape.
- Sew the trim to the joined seam.
- Select a fussy cut scrap, or an image printed on inkjet fabric, and create a decorative edge using scalloped edge rotary cutter or pinking shears. If the base fabric shows through this fabric scrap, adhere a piece of muslin to the back of the scrap using HeatnBond Feather Lite.
- Pin to one side of the case front. The placement is up to you, but I decided it looked better in the center.
- Set a wide zigzag and sew the scrap to the front, taking about three passes all around it. Press.
- Spray with 505 adhesive to baste batting to the main case pieces — using an applique sheet to protect the table surface.
- Right sides together, sew the outside front and back of the zakka cell phone case together. Clip corners and turn right side out.
- Sew the front and back of the lining together, leaving a 2 1/2″ opening at the bottom for turning.
With right sides together, place main case inside the lining.
- Sew the top of the lining to the top of the case.
- Thread an embroidery needle with three strands of contrasting colored floss.
- Use a dab of Sew Smooth to help the thread glide through all the layers of the zakka cell phone case. (see photo)
Come back tomorrow when answering the call for a zakka phone case becomes “hands free” with a cool zakka inspired quilted neck strap!