This week, I’m so excited to share with you how to make a reversible fall and Halloween table runner. It’s so versatile with its bargello style on the front and batty and Halloween designs on the back. This table runner is made with Fabric Creations Cotton and UNIQUE sewing notions. Through the process of making this project, you will learn how to bargello piece, quilt as you go, and sew easy bat appliqués to the back making it reversible.
Be sure to follow along all week, learn some new, completely free, and easy techniques to make this table runner and change up your fall home decor! Also, be sure to download the free bat graphic, layout and coloring page as well and join in the fun.
What is bargello? Bargello was really developed early in the history of needlepoint embroidery as stitches, long and short that create gorgeous repetitive designs. Quilters have adapted bargello as a series of fabric strips with carefully chosen colors that are laid out in a mathematical pattern to create beautiful, ombré wave-like patterns.
To make this Batty for Bargello Table Runner I used the following.
Fabric Creations Cotton (front)
Fabric Creations Cotton 100% Cotton Fabric Solids (back and binding)
Other required materials:
- 12 different 8″ x 21″ pieces of cotton fabric, ranging in color from dark to light in 4 color ways, refer to picture above. I used orange as a color pop and to reflect the season. Fat quarters will work, Fabric Creations Cotton and a few from my own stash. The fabric colors are:
- 3 shades of black
- 3 shades of dark gray
- 3 shades of light gray to white/gray
- 3 shades of orange
- 22″ x 52″ fabric for the backing
- 12″ x WOF fabric for binding
- light weight fusible web
- clips to hold binding, used was UNIQUE sewing 30 binding and hem clips
- fabric starch or alternative
- quilt batting
- thread to match the fabric, I used orange, black, white and gray
- sharp rotary blade and rotary cutter
- 6” x 24″ cutting ruler recommended
- cutting mat
- sewing machine
- ¼” foot
- free motion foot
- a hot dry iron
***Recommended: bat graphic, bargello layout, and coloring page available for free download here
Be sure to grab your free layout here and come on back tomorrow for instructions on how to cut the gorgeous Fabric Creations Cotton. I’ll be discussing how I prepared the fabric too. In addition, I’ll share essential tips for accurate cutting that you can use for all your quilting projects.