Now that the wording on our wall quilt is complete, we need to start dressing up the Darling Diva wall quilt. We need to applique it to the main fabric of the wall quilt.
- Cut about 6″ of cotton lace.
- Use Fray Check to keep the edges from unraveling.
- Use your sewing machine to sew a line of wide stitches for gathering.
- Pull up the threads to gather the lace so that it fits around the collar of the dress. Tack the lace to the collar. Press.
- Cover three self cover buttons and sew them to the dress, starting at the collar and ending just above the waist.
- Cut a piece of ric rac to cover the area between the waist and the bodice, leaving a 1/4″ on either end. Tuck the ends under the dress and press.
- Use a small amount of double sided adhesive tape to attach the ric rac to the bodice.
- Use contrasting embroidery floss to embellish the ric rac on the dress. Insert the needle at the valleys over the trim. (see photo)
- Once the ric rac is embellished, place the dress on an applique mat and lightly spray with 505 Reposition Fabric Adhesive.
- Place the quilt into a hoop, and use a number 10 quilting needle threaded with silk thread to applique the dress to the quilt using small stitches as in the photo.
- Stitch all the way around the dress, but do not pull the stitches too tightly. It will cause unattractive puckers.
- Take the quilt from the hoop and press lightly. Set aside.
It looks like we are done dressing up the Darling Diva wall quilt. Come back tomorrow when we make a quilt sandwich, and have some fun with templates on this Darling Diva wall quilt.