Yesterday I showed you how to use buttons from the bottle o’ buttons purple collection to make a small button wall quilt. Today we’ll be using buttons from the blue collection for another quick and easy button quilt. This quilt is 14″ square.
- 1 fat quarter (18″ x 20″) for the outer border
- ½ yd [0.5m] for binding and backing
- 12 – 2½” squares in a variety of coordinating colors
- 12 buttons (½” – 1″) in size from the bottle o’ buttons collection
- 16″ x 16″ piece of lightweight FAIRFIELD Fusi-BooTM Fusible Batting or FAIRFIELD Low-Loft® Quilt Batting
Outer Border fabric
- 1 – 4½” square for the center of the quilt
- 2 – 3¼” x 8½” and 2 – 3¼” x 14″ for the border
Binding and Backing fabric
- 1 – 16″ square for backing
- 3 – 3″ x remaining width of fabric for a 3″ finished binding
- Sew 4 – 2½” squares together to make 1 inner border. Make another border the same.
- Sew 2 – 2½” squares together to make the other inner border. Make another border the same.
- Sew the two-square inner borders to the sides of the 4½” square.
- Sew the four-square inner borders to the remaining sides of the 4½” square.
- Sew a 3¼” x 8½” outer border to the top and bottom.
- Sew a 3¼” x 14″ outer border to each side.
Depending on the fabric you chose for the center square, you might like to add a 3″ and a 2″ circle to the center for added interest. I used a light fusible web, HeatnBond Featherlite on the back of some leftover fabric and then cut out the circles and fused them to the center square.
Layer backing, batting and quilt top. Quilt as desired.
Now it’s time to play with some buttons to add some embellishment. Choose your 12 favorite buttons from one of the bottle o’ buttons collections. I pinned the buttons in place first, but you can just go ahead and sew them on without pinning if you wish.
Sew 1 button in the center of each 2½” square. The buttons can be sewn on by machine using the button sewing foot or by hand. Be sure to read the manual for your machine to see how to use the button sewing foot. It’s really quite easy!
You can even try some different sewing designs on the buttons.
- Sew the 3″ binding strips together, end to end, to make 1 long strip.
- Sew on the binding strips with a ½” seam for ½” finished size binding.
- For more information about making a ½” finished size binding see my earlier post,
I hope you’ve enjoyed making your little button quilts this week with the bottle o’ buttons collections. There are so many colors available, it’s hard to know which one to use first!
Be sure to look for them in your favorite quilt and craft shops.