Yesterday I showed you how to use HeatnBond EZ print sheets to prepare some appliqué shapes and make a coaster or mug rug using 6½” fabric squares of fabric and some Therm Fleece as the batting.
Now you’re ready to finish the coasters!
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions on the package, press the fusible web shapes to the wrong side of the fabric.
- Cut out each shape on the drawn lines. Carefully remove the paper backing from the fusible web, one shape at a time, as you need it. A thin layer of fusible web will remain on the fabric.
- Place the flower shapes as desired on the coaster. The shapes can be combined in many different ways. Be creative!
- When you’re satisfied with the placement of the shapes, fuse them in place.
Machine Stitching Fusible Applique Shapes
Suitable stitches for machine applique are straight stitch, satin stitch, narrow zigzag stitch or blanket stitch. You can use matching or contrasting thread.
For this project, I used a simple straight stitch with a variegated thread. Check out the wonderful Gϋtermann variegated threads that are available. You’ll love the variety of colors!
Because I used batik fabric, it’s very unlikely that the edges will fray, so I don’t have to worry about finishing the edges.
Here are a few tips for machine stitching applique shapes.
- Starting Pull bobbin thread to the top. Sew 3 or 4 very small, straight stitches to lock the stitches in place. Continue sewing with regular stitch length.
- Stopping Sew 3 or 4 tiny straight stitches to lock the stitches in place.
- Stitch through all layers to complete the applique.
Of course, you can make these coasters or mug rugs any size you like – another great way to use up some scraps!
Here are my finished coasters.
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning about these new products this week:
Therm Fleece and
Be sure to ask for them in all your favorite quilt, craft and sewing shops.
This is part 5 of 5 in this series.
Go back to part 4: How to use fusible web that goes in your printer and its characteristics
[shareaholic app=”follow_buttons” id=”23735596″]