Zakka inspired cord wraps keep your tech stuff tidy
The final day of our zakka quilting/sewing tour wraps up — literally — with some zakka inspired cord wraps to keep your tech stuff tidy. All those charging cords for essential electronic devices, like cell phones, e-readers and tablets, can be tidy, organized and tangle-free.
These cord wraps, like all zakka, fulfill an essential need in a pretty and practical way that uses up scraps and helps get your cords untangled, easily identified, and, hopefully, unforgettable.
They also make great gifts for “techie” guys and gals with that added bonus of being quick to finish.
You will need
For this project, I discovered I had been hoarding some precious Japanese cotton-linen scraps, which were printed on both sides of the fabric.
This made the selection for the outside of the wrap quite easy, since I only had to select a couple of scraps and flip them.
- Download the template below for the cord wrap.
- Trace it onto template plastic.
Audition your fabric scraps for the pieced outside of the cord wrapper. This is easy to do because you can see the fabric through the plastic.
- Once you’re pleased with the fabric arrangement, stitch them together with a 1/4″ seam.
- Press the seams open.
- Make a quilt sandwich: Main fabric and lining right sides together and then batting.
- Spray baste the batting to the wrong side of the lining.
- Sew the layers together with a 1/4″ seam, leaving a 1 1/2″ opening at the center of the short end.
- Clip the curves and turn right side out through the opening.
- Press the cord wrap.
- If desired, create a label for the cord wrap. Using a scrap of linen and some plain twill tape, write the label with a Fabric Fun marker or use miniature stamps and permanent ink.
- Stitch the label to the center back of the cord wrap.
My time on QUILTsocial wraps up today — in more ways than one. I hope you have enjoyed learning about zakka inspired projects, the pretty practical way to get organized.
Keep coming back to QUILTsocial for more quilty fun.
In the meantime, make a mess and have some handmade fun! Using your Zakka-inspired cord wraps keeps your tech stuff tidy, while you’re making that mess.