It’s a great summer so far and I can’t imagine the weather turning cooler. Yesterday I shared a fall runner… thinking ahead. For this week’s last post, I’ll finish with Christmas in mind. Really, it’s never to soon to think of Christmas projects.
Here’s an adorable holiday garland made up of Holiday Mini Quilts to deck your home with warmth! It features Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP® All-purpose Thread and Coats Dual Duty Plus Hand Quilting Thread.
Making these adorable “mini” quilts is easy! Then, comes the hard part. Should they be mug mats? Or maybe tree ornaments, or holiday greeting “cards”, or maybe a banner as shown here.
skill level Beginner
finished measurements 5″ x 6″ each mini quilt
- variety of scraps of holiday fabrics including batiks for appliques
- 1⁄4 yard light-colored neutral background fabric
- 1⁄4 yard each five different fabrics for backings and binding
- Coats Dual Duty® all-purpose
- Coats Dual Duty Plus® Hand Quilting thread
- Coats® Beading Thread (optional)
- cotton batting
- two 1⁄4” ribbon pieces cut 2” long
- one pkg. 3⁄8” grosgrain ribbon for hanging
- PDF Templates
From background fabric:
(5) rectangles 5½” x 6½”
From the five different fabrics for backings and binding:
(1) binding strip 2¼” x 26” from each fabric for binding
(1) rectangle 5” x 6” from each fabric for backing
- Layer the 5½” x 6½” background rectangles with cotton batting.
- Using Coats Dual Duty Plus® Hand Quilting thread, quilt following the pattern in the fabric or if there is none, quilt lines approximately 1⁄2” apart. Leave about 1⁄4” unquilted so that when you trim the finished applique, you will not cut off starting knots.
- Quilt all of the background rectangles.
- Using the pattern templates on page 3 – 7 cut out the applique pieces from scraps.
- Pin the appliques on the quilted background pieces following the assembly guides as needed.
- For the stocking and the ornament, insert the raw ends of ribbon pieces, folded as shown in the photographs.
- Using Coats® Hand Quilting thread, stitch the pieces in place using a running stitch approximately 1⁄8” from the edge of the fabrics.
- Decorate the appliques with some beads using beading thread.
- Trim the finished pieces to 5” x 6”.
- Place the backing in place and baste the layers together.
- Fold the 2¼” x 26” binding strips in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press.
- Stitch the binding to the mini quilts, mitering the corners.
- Fold to the wrong side and stitch in place.
- If desired, wash and dry. Washing gives the mini-quits a softer look with more dimension.
- To hang, place on ribbon and pin, to determine the placement. Then stitch the mini quilts to the ribbon.
And so ends this week of sewing and quilting using Coats & Clark Dual Duty XP® All-purpose Thread. Join us next week for Elaine Theriault’s tutorial on the Husqvarna Viking Opal 690q right here on QUILTsocial!