Welcome to day four with the Brother Luminaire 2 Innov-ìs XP2 Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machine. Yesterday, I showed you how easy it is to quilt in the hoop with the XP2. The growth chart project is almost complete, and we have just one more detail to add. Today, I’ll show you a quick and easy way to create an applique using an embroidery design and add words to the design. Come along and follow me as I work through this technique.
- Turn your Brother Lunimaire XP2 on and select the Disney Icon. Select image number 025 – the gloves. TIP You can use the slider bar to locate the design. Select Set.
- Select the Add icon at the bottom of the screen; select Font category #2 and choose a font you wish to use in the space inside the gloves. (I used font #11).
- Type the name you wish to place on one of the gloves and tap Set. Select Edit, select Move, and use the arrows at the bottom of screen to move the name to the center of the glove. Alternatively, you can tap, hold, and drag the text into the glove with the pen provided with the accessories of the XP2.
- Select OK. Select Size and use the proportional key to resize the name to fit inside the glove. Select OK.
- Select Rotate and use the keys on this screen to rotate the text to your liking. Resize the text in proportion with the glove if necessary. Select OK.
6. Repeat these steps to add the child’s birth date on the other glove.
7. Select the Embroidery key, select Layout icon, and select the Applique icon. A black box will appear around the design; select Layout.
8. Thread the Brother Luminaire XP2 with black embroidery thread and put black bobbin thread in the bobbin.
9.Hoop the 272mm X 408mm [10⅝” x 16″] embroidery hoop with tear-away stabilizer. Slide the hoop into the hoop slot and lock into place.
10. Embroider the first color – the black rectangle (applique stitch). This is the placement alignment for the white felt fabric.
11. After the stitching is complete, place the white felt within the stitching lines of the applique stitch and hold in place at opposite corners while stitching the next color (gloves). Move your fingers around the outside area of the felt to hold it down while stitching out the design. Be careful not to get your fingers in the way of the needle!
12. When the embroidery is complete, remove from the hoop. With a pair of sharp scissors, cut along the straight outline stitch. Remove the stabilizer and press if necessary.
This process is done – the Brother Luminaire 2 Innov-ìs XP2 Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Machine made this easy breezy! Tomorrow is the final day of the project, and we’ll work on some embellishments to apply to the banner. Join me!
This is part 4 of 5 in this series
Go back to part 3: Quilting in the hoop with the Brother Luminaire XP2
Go to post 5: Completing the Growth Chart on the Brother Luminaire XP2