Welcome back to QUILTsocial! This week I’ll be using some unique features and attachments on the Brother Innov-ís BQ3050 machine to create some easy Valentine’s Day projects.
Today’s quilt uses a pieced heart design. I used scrap fabrics for my quilt, but you could use fat quarters or jelly roll strips for the pieced hearts.
16 – 2½” x about 16″ strips in a variety of colors
1 – 2″ square to use in the sashing
Background (light color)
16 – 2½” squares
8 – 2½” x 4½” rectangles
4 – 2″ x 10½” rectangles for sashing
2 – 2″ x 25″ rectangles and 2 – 2″ x 22″ rectangles for inner border
From red fabric cut 4″ strips in varying sizes from 10″ – 12″ in length. You’ll need about 12 – 4″ strips altogether.
This is a good time to use the ¼” foot with guide that comes with the Brother Innov-ís BQ3050. If you like to pin your strips together before sewing, you may find the ¼” foot without the guide works better.
- Sew 5 – 2½” heart fabric strips together to make a strip set. Make another strip set like this, arranging the fabrics in a different order.
- Sew 3 – 2½” heart fabric strips together to make a strip set. Make another strip set like this, arranging the fabrics in a different order.
- Press seams in one direction.
- Cut the strip sets into 2½” segments. You’ll need a total of 12 – 2½” segments with 5 squares in each and 8 – 2½” segments with 3 squares in each.
- Sew a 2½” square from corner to corner to the top of one of the five-square strips to make a half square triangle.
- This is a good time to use the laser light feature on the Brother Innov-ís BQ3050. Just press the laser light button on the screen and the red guideline appears.
- Line up the red laser line so it goes from corner to corner on the 2½” square.
- Start stitching on the red line. Remember to watch the laser line and not the needle while stitching.
- It’s also helpful to use the SA186 open toe foot for accurate stitching.
- Trim excess background fabric from the square if desired.
- Press the triangle back over the strip.
- Make 4 strips that look like this.
- Make 4 strips that look like this:
- Sew 2 – 2½” background squares to 4 of the three-square strips to make half-square triangle corners the same as I did with the 5-square strips.
- Sew a 2½” background strip to one end of all three-square strips.
Be sure to come back tomorrow to see how to put all the pieces together on the Brother Innov-ís BQ3050 to complete the Four Heart Valentine project!