Free motion quilting is one of my favorite things to do and I’m always exploring new and exciting variations.
I had fun using applique words in my QUILTsocial blog post 5 easy steps to make a quilted spring banner and wondered could I also create words with quilting?
With my beautiful Gütermann Dekor rayon thread the answer, of course, is a resounding yes!
Join me for a week of fun as we create a lovely designer cushion.
Gütermann thread – a quilters palette
My thread of choice for quilting this project is the beautiful Gütermann Dekor Rayon.
This lovely rayon thread comes in a wide variety of colors, is easy to work with and gives a soft sheen to the stitching.
I like quite dense quilting so I needed 2 of the 220-yard spools.
Though the wrong side of the stitching will not show I like to use the same thread in the bobbin.
This way I will not have to worry about the back thread showing on the top and my machine tension will be easy to set.
fabric – a quilter’s canvas
My fabric for this project is Canvas from Northcott. I love the way the subtle color changes add extra detail to my quilting.
- ⅝ yd for pillow front and back, color 9030-11 was used for the sample
- ½ yd of a contrasting color for a ruffle to match the thread, color 9030-63 was used for the sample
- 20″ square of plain fabric for the back of your quilted piece, this will be on the inside of the pillow and will not show
- 2 – 20″ squares Fairfield Soft & Toasty natural cotton batting
- 1 spool Gütermann 50wt cotton in a color to match your main fabric
- 1 spool Gütermann 50wt cotton in a color to match your contrasting fabric
- 1 package SCHMETZ quilting needles
- 1 UNIQUE fast-fade marker
- 1 UNIQUE wash out marker
- 1 package Heirloom 1½” safety pins
- 18″ Fairfield Decorator’s Choice pillow form
- sharp pair of small curved scissors
- 2½” – 3″ letter stencil or stick on letters
- rotary cutter, ruler and mat
- painters tape
sewing machine with
- darning foot
- ¼ foot
- standard sewing foot
- walking foot
Prepare your fabric
From your main pillow fabric cut:
- 1 square 20″ for pillow front
- 2 pieces 18½” x 11″ for the pillow back
From your contrasting fabric cut:
- 3 strips 5½ x width of fabric
We’ve gathered our materials, cut our fabric to size and are off to a great start.
Join me tomorrow as we prepare our pieces for successful machine quilting with Gütermann Dekor rayon thread.
This is part 1 of 5 in this series.
Go to part 2: Mark, layer, baste, easy preparation for machine quilting
[shareaholic app=”follow_buttons” id=”23735596″]