We finally made it through the week, and we’ve prepared and quilted the beautiful Diamond Hexagon oversized cushion which measures 27½” x 32″. I’m sure you can’t wait to showcase it in your living room, so you’ll want to quickly prepare the filler cushion to have just the perfect look.
The gorgeous Diamond Hexagon cushion deserves a zipper that looks like it was inserted by professionals, I’ve already written a blog post on that. Be sure to read How the creative icon does half the work for you when adding a zipper to help you finish your beautiful, oversized cushion cover.
Here’s the list of supplies I used to make the cushion cover:
- Clover 2″ Flower Head Pins
- Costumakers 22″ Invisible Closed End Zipper in Chestnut Brown
- Klassé Quilting Needles – Size 80/12
- Gütermann Cotton 30wt Thread – Autumn Leaves
- (2) 27½” x 16½” pieces Fabric Creations 100% Cotton Fabric
- my quilted Diamond Hexagon cushion panel
Here are the supplies I used to make the cushion form:
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Fiber Fill
- Fabric Creations Poly-Cotton Fabric – Brown (2yds x 42″)
- Gütermann Cotton 50wt Thread
- Klassé Universal Needles – Size 70/10
Now, I must talk specifically about the Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Fiber Fill. This is my new best friend! One box contains 10 pounds of 100% polyester fiber fill. I thought the box looked small and figured I would need to use the entire box to make one cushion. I was happily surprised when I opened the bag inside the box, and the Poly-fill began expanding – a lot! I only used half the box to make my huge cushion! So, it’s a very good investment. And I love the feel of the cushion with this filler. It’s dense and keeps its shape.
Making the cushion form
This is absolutely the easiest part of the entire project! Simply:
- Cut a 27½” x 64″ rectangle from your Fabric Creations Poly-Cotton Fabric, and fold in half.
- Stitch along the raw edges with a ¼” seam allowance, leaving a 6″ opening along one side to insert the poly-fill.
- Fill with poly-fill until your desired thickness. Be sure to gently massage the fill into the corners and areas where you need to add more filling.
- Hand stitch to close the opening.
That’s it! You’re done! You’re now ready to insert the cushion form inside your Diamond Hexagon oversized throw cushion cover.
Hope you’ve enjoyed the many tricks I showed you this week to make the Diamond Hexagon oversized throw cushion. You’ll be able to make any size cushion you want now that you also know how to create your filler cushion with Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Fiber Fill!
Please do let me know how the project is working out for you, and don’t forget to tag #thesewgoeson whenever you post your finished project on your favorite social media. I look forward to seeing your pics!